Start a conversation about your child’s strengths and interests!
Middle school is a perfect time for children to learn more about themselves, including their interests, what they’re good at, what they enjoy doing, and what they don’t like as much. This helps kids find a good career fit more easily in the future.
You can ask your middle schooler questions like:
- What are some things you really enjoy? Why?
- What is your favorite class? Why? What have you enjoyed learning about recently?
- What do you think you’re good at? How do you know you’re good at it? Were you told by someone? Is it easy for you?
- What don’t you like or what don’t you think you’re good at? Why?
- What activities have you done in school where you’ve learned about your interests or skills or talents? What did you learn about yourself?
- Have you done any activities where you’ve learned about some careers that seem interesting and may show off things you are you good at doing? How do you feel about your results from these activities?