OhioKAN: Connecting Kinship Caregivers to Resources
Do you have grandparents or other kinship caregivers raising children in your school community who have outstanding needs?
Research suggests that when the financial and social needs of grand and kinship families are met, caregivers are able to focus more of their time on the educational needs of the children in their care. Please consider sharing this resource with your grand and kinship families.
What is OhioKAN?
OhioKAN Kinship & Adoption Navigator is a free program offered through the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services. Kinship navigators work one-on-one with families to develop a resource plan tailored to their unique situation. Their goal is to connect kinship caregivers with financial, nutritional, health, and childcare needs through state agencies and programs. To increase access to these services, many Ohio schools host OhioKAN groups and events for their families.
Some of the resources include:
- Kinship Permanency Incentive Program (KPIP)
- Kinship Caregiver Program (KCP)
- Post Adoption Special Services Subsidy (PASSS) Program
- State Adoption Maintenance Subsidy (SAMS)
- Adoption Assistance (AA)
- Supplemental Nutrition Program for women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits
- Subsidized Child Care
Learn more about how OhioKAN is able to assist kinship caregivers, grandfamilies, and adoptive parents.