Revisiting Family Involvement: A Practice Brief for All School Personnel
Access this practice brief from the American Psychological Association. It offers insights for school personnel as they work with families to tackle the long-term effects of COVID-19 on learners.
Clear discussion with families could help schools better understand what facets (beliefs, invitations, life context) in the Hoover-Dempsey and Sandler model for family engagement cause greater concern for families and how schools can address issues in each of the areas.
1. Prioritize safety and concern for students’ health and socio-emotional well-being.
2. School districts should make every attempt to connect with families who seem disengaged.
3. Once established, relationships with families should be nurtured through two-way communication.
4. Create opportunities for families and students to establish goals together.
5. Model approaches to coping with current stressors and challenges.
6. Host student-led conferences at accessible times and in accessible ways for families.
7. Invite families to lead and participate in equity and inclusion efforts.
8. Offer opportunities to discuss and share strategies for critical issues in education during the COVID-19 pandemic.