Communication Example: How to Make Individual Phone Calls to Families

man on cell phone

This Edutopia article has many good suggestions for how teachers can make phone calls home to families.

“My biggest mistake was that I waited to make those calls. I was young and nervous. Once I did start calling, I quickly learned what a valuable resource parent and guardian support can be. And I was asked several times, “Why didn’t you call sooner?”

We love that this article suggests using your first name with families and beginning the conversation with a positive. In fact, an entire phone call can just be to say hello and share a positive thing about their child/young adult!

Please share:

You may also like...

Ohio Parents and Caregivers -- Click Here to Apply to be on our Advisory Council in 2021 -- Applications Due November 26, 2020

We are now recruiting Ohio parents and caregivers of Ohio children from birth to grade 12 to be members of our advisory council beginning in January 2021!

Click here to download the English version of the application and share with families in your community.

Click here to download the Spanish version of the application and share with families in your community.

Applications are due by November 26, 2020, and can be emailed as an attachment to OhioSFEC@osu.edu.

To read more about the work of the council, visit our state advisory council web page.

Please share: