Lau Resource Center for English Learners at the Ohio Department of Education
The mission of the Lau Resource Center at the Ohio Department of Education is to ensure equal access to standards and school success for English learners in the state of Ohio. If your family has questions about services and supports for English Learners, visit the Lau Center’s website.
Goals of the Lau Resource Center:
- Provide leadership to school district and state department personnel on educational programs and issues dealing with national origin minority (NOM) and limited English proficient (LEP) students.
- Develop and maintain a database of information on the number of LEP students enrolled in the state, the extent of their educational needs, and the types of assistance available for them.
- Assure the appropriate identification, assessment and instruction of all students whose native language is not English.
- Disseminate information and respond to school district inquiries regarding their responsibilities to national origin minority and LEP students.
- Provide training, technical assistance, and resources to help school district personnel meet their responsibilities.
- Promote collaboration among families, educators, and all persons who work with linguistically and culturally diverse students.
- Act as a liaison between school districts and state and federal organizations to coordinate technical assistance and the planning and implementation of bilingual, multicultural and English as a Second Language (ESL) programs in the state.
- Review and assist with the assessment of student language proficiency and academic achievement and the evaluation of programs serving LEP students.
- Value students of diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds as vital resources for a society with a growing need to interact effectively within a global economy and community.
- Promote multicultural education.